Saturday, February 2, 2008

Blogs in Education

How can I use blogs? Let's see:
  • To publish content-related information for students.
  • To share professional resources with colleagues.
  • To make announcements and remind staff and parents about special events or projects.

But the truth is, there's already a medium for that, and that is my school Webpage... so... what can I use blogs for? What if I don't really need to use them at all and I'm just looking for a need that accomodates to this "new fad" that is blogs?

Hmmm... Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong angle... Maybe, the real question is "How can my students use blogs?" There's a whole twist here, since I'm moving from a teacher-centered perspective into a student-centered one. That's where the real thinking is. I can think of reflective journals, assignment submission, group discussion, electronic portfolios and some of the activity structures of Judy Harris.

All that sounds like I've made some progress here... now, let's focus: How can my students use blogs to learn Spanish?

More to come...

2 comments:

Catherine Monsalve said...

I wonder if you could do some sort of question/answer blog with your students. You could make an open blog in which students can post any questions they have regarding the spanish going on in class, and you could have other students assigned to answer the questions to the best of their ability.

Jen said...

I really like your idea of having a blog for fellow teachers. You could even take it further to involve all the content teachers in your district.